Ingredients (for the bread):
- ~ 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package yeast
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- pinch salt
- 2 eggs
Ingredients (for the filling):
- 3 cups ground nuts (walnuts and almonds work well)
- 1/2 cup ground poppy seeds (optional)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 egg, gently beaten
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a pot, heat the milk, butter, sugar and salt until the butter is melted (do not let boil). As it is cooling, combine 1 cup of flour with the yeast in a large bowl.
- Add milk mixture to flour mixture, and add two eggs. Beat on low for 30 seconds and then on high for three minutes.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead in the remaining flour. About five minutes of kneading should give a smooth, elastic dough. Shape into a ball and let rise in a lightly greased bowl until doubled in size (1-1 1/2 hours).
- Near the end of the rising time, stir together all the filling ingredients in a large bowl.
- Punch dough down, cover and let rest for 10 minutes. During this time, prepare two loaf pans (either grease them or cover the bottoms with parchment paper).
- Roll the dough out as large as you can without ripping it on a well floured surface. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Then roll it out again, aiming to make a large rectangle. Cut in half to make two rectangles (each should be approximately 30" x 10").
- Spread half of the filling over each dough rectangle, and then roll them up as you would a jelly roll. Pinch the seams and ends to seal. Place the loaves (seam side down) in the pans, cover and let rise until doubled in size (45 minutes). Preheat oven to 325.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool on a wire rack. Do not slice until nearly entirely cool.