What you need (4 servings):
- 1 cup rice, cooked (warm or cold)
- olive or sunflower oil
- 2-3 eggs, lightly beaten with a fork
- scant cup frozen shelled edemame, defrosted (just run them under the tap for a couple of minutes)
- scant cup salad shrimp (if they are frozen, let them sit in tap water for a couple of minutes)
- 8 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 medium onion, diced
What you do:
- Place the shiitake mushrooms in a small bowl and cover with hot tap water. Place clingfilm over the bowl and poke a couple of holes through it. Microwave for one minute. Let the shiitakes rest for at least 20 minutes. Then remove the stems from the mushrooms (keep them for making stock -- they can be frozen for this purpose) and sliced the shiitake caps into long, thin strips. Set aside.
- Heat a small quantity of oil in a wok or frying pan. Once it is hot, pour in the lightly beaten eggs. Let cook without stirring for 20 seconds, then break apart and scramble with a wooden spoon. Once the eggs are set (no more than one minute), remove to a bowl.
- At a tiny bit more oil to the pan, and heat over medium. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until translucent. Then add the edemame and shiitake, and cook until warmed through. Add the rice and soy sauce, stirring to break up clumps of rice. Once it is warmed through, add the shrimp and egg and stir to mix well. Serve piping hot!