Saturday, June 18, 2011

Catch-up 2: Open face sandwiches: shrimp and egg


Call it reconnecting with my cultural roots. It's taken me far too long to start making my own open face sandwiches since moving to Denmark half a year ago.

I do eat very plain open face sandwiches nearly daily: bread and cheese. It's what I ate, essentially, seven days a week for lunch growing up.

But the fancier Danish sandwiches have, for me, so far been limited to restaurants and the university canteens. There's no question as to my favorite: it's the shrimp and egg variety (not too much mayonnaise, please), typically topped with thinly sliced cucumber and a twist of lemon.

Yes, eat the lemon. Please don't leave it behind. [The same goes for raw egg on other open face sandwiches.]

The layers:
  • rye bread
  • a few dry leaves of salad (to keep the bread from getting too moist)
  • thinly sliced hard-boiled egg (1 egg per slice of bread)
  • baby shrimps, gently tossed in mayonnaise and mustard
  • thinly sliced cucumber
  • thinly sliced lemon (not visible in the picture due to technical difficulties)
  • optional: a small spoonful of roe
  • optional, but recommended (unless, in my case, deal has been temporarily banned from the flat): a small sprig of dill

As I wilt in the Jylland summer (hey, it reached 20°C here yesterday), these are a welcome meal, cool and refreshing. There is, however, I discovered, a fine art to making these: the better they look, the harder they are to eat. Knives and forks all around. 

[For a much better photo, and different toppings, have a look at A Year in Food's salmon, radish and apple open face sandwich]

No comments: