- 10 medium Jerusalem artichokes, peeled and roughly chopped
- scant 1/4 cup butter
- 1 small onion, or 4 spring onions (white part), diced
- 1 clove garlic, or 2 cloves new garlic, diced
- 2 1/2 cups stock
- 1 cup milk
- scant cup heavy cream
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a large, heavy bottomed pot, melt the butter and add the onions and garlic. Cook until you can smell them.
- Add the Jerusalem artichokes and cook, covered, for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally to make sure the Jerusalem artichokes are coated in butter. Then pour in the stock and milk, bring to a boil, and simmer covered for 15-20 minutes.
- Let cool slightly (five minutes) and purée in a blender or food processor.
- Add the cream and freshly ground black pepper and reheat gently. When serving, sprinkle each bowl with a pinch of nutmeg.