Having had several themes on squid salad in Bosnia recently, I decided to make it at home -- with Asian accents. The squid is from Ljubljana, and the Asian ingredients are collected from around specialty stores in Budapest. (You try finding lemongrass in Hungary. Go on -- just try.) The result is splendiferous.
Ingredients (2-4 people, depending on portion size):
- 8 small or 4 large squid, cleaned and cut into rings
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 tsp. minced fresh ginger
- 1 small fresh hot pepper, finely chopped (remove seeds for a less spicy dish)
- 4 green onions, diced
- 1 stalk lemongrass, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander
- 3 tsp. soy sauce
- Mix together ginger, hot pepper, green onions, lemon grass, coriander, and 1 teaspoon soy sauce.
- Heat the oils in a pan, add the squid and stir fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add ginger mixture to the pan and stir until it is all well mixed and piping hot (~ 1 minute). Do not overcook the squid.
- Serve over lettuce and drizzle with remainder of soy sauce.