Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Breakfast (?) bread

I am thoroughly sick and tired of cereal for breakfast. Especially the cereals available here in Budapest.* And I don't much like toast. In my search for new breakfast ideas, I found this dried fruit and nut soda bread on one of my current-favorite blogs. We made it last night, and tried it with our smoothies at breakfast this morning -- terrific. Delicious, and filling too.**

Recipe: http://www.bakingobsession.com/2010/02/18/dried-fruit-and-nut-cake/

I replaced the dried pears with dried cherries (this is Hungary, after all) and one cup of the walnuts with whole almonds.

* So why don't I make my own cereal? I used to, in Canada. But here I cannot get the ingredients I want (namely, a variety of grains -- oats, spelt, barley, etc.) at reasonable prices.

** But isn't it too sweet for breakfast? Granted, the entire loaf contains 3/4 cup brown sugar. But it doesn't taste sweet. And, per slice, this works out too much less sugar than a serving of your typical store-bought cereal.

No comments: