What to make when you want something sweet, but light and simple to make? Sweet picnic slices! Ten minutes of prep, half an hour in the oven, and done. Plus, the idea of a picnic is welcome on what is otherwise a snowy and cold day.
- 8 ounces cooking chocolate
- 2 ounces butter
- 4 ounces sugar (caster sugar if possible)
- 1 egg
- 4 ounces shredded coconut
- 2 ounces sultanas
- 2 ounces glace cherries or candied peel
- Line a 9 x 13 cake tin or a Swiss roll tin with parchment paper, making sure that it comes up the sides so that you can lift the picnic slices out at the end.
- Preheat oven to 300 Fahrenheit/mark two.
- Melt chocolate and spread over bottom of tin. It will make a thin layer. Leave to set.
- Meanwhile, beat butter and sugar until light. Add egg and beat briefly.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Spread evenly over chocolate.
- Bake for half an hour. Leave to cool (yes, they smell good. No, you can't have any yet.), then carefully lift the un-sliced picnic slices out of the tin. Cut into slices with a sharp knife, and store in the fridge.