Oh, and it takes 12 eggs. Incredible.
Chocolate framboise torte with fresh raspberry purée (mildly adapted from The Chez Piggy Cookbook, page 223)
- 2 cups butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- 2 tbsp Cointreau, Triple Sec or Grand Marnier
- 1 cup strong hot coffee
- 8 oz. semisweet chocolate
- 8 oz. bittersweet chocolate
- 6 eggs plus 6 egg yolks (at room temperature)
- Preheat the oven to 325 F and fully line an 8 inch springform with parchment paper.
- Melt all the chocolate in a double boiler. Remove from heat.
- In a large, heavy pot (I used my Le Creuset), melt the butter with the sugar. Remove from heat, and add the liqueur, coffee, melted chocolate, and half of the raspberries. Stir until mixture is smooth.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and the egg yolks until frothy. Whisk the eggs into the chocolate mixture until it thickens.
- Pour batter into pan, and place the pan on a cookie sheet to catch leaks. Bake for one hour. After removing it from the oven, let cool for 20-30 minutes before taking it out of the pan in order to let the torte set in the center. Refrigerate until completely cool.
- Purée the remainder of the raspberries and spread over the torte. Be sure to keep in the fridge and serve small slices -- chocolate overload is entirely possible.